I kneel to the programmer. This game took 33 blocks on my disk only. But it included so many different elements!
1. You can switch between boarding your plane and roaming the underground by foot.
2. The monsters move in unpredictable directions and it is hard to hit or avoid them, even though they donīt shoot at you.
3. The monsters lay eggs that give you time to shoot them, but once reaching the ground, some other animal hatches, eating the buildings. Not easy to hunt down, because it hides in the underground. And you easily accidentally destroy the buildings while hunting that little bastard.
4. You have to keep an eye on your fuel supply and refuel your 2-speed plane in the air. If only the fuel plane come in time! Alas!
5. A two-player mode that could easily be used as a duel situation.
I know, it is hard to resist the urge of bombing the city to the ground. But since 9/11 this is no longer politically correct (if only the game was named "Save Paris" or "Save Berlin"! :D), and the less buildings are intact, the faster you run out of gas. Not to mention that your score mainly depends on the number of apartments intact.
For such a little one-filer Save New York is really a game of high class. The challenge is to control your plane within a space of one single screen only and to concentrate on hunting the invaders and their breed. Keep an eye on falling eggs, because the underground is not a safe place to be!
This is truly a game never to be forgotten and always underrated. Pay the attention this little (and I mean "little") masterpiece deserves.
|GRAPHICS - 8/10|
|Yes, 8 on the graphics. They are good for those times and not only pixel-loafs. Especially the ravenous and brainless facial expression of the ground monster is worth to score 8 points.|
|SOUND - 5/10|
|Well, no music at all. But the scarce sound effects do it well. The sound of the dying monsters go into your ears like a saw hitting a hidden nail in a wooden board. The sound of the falling buildings accuse you of having failed. Not too bad so far.|
|PLAYABILITY - 10/10|
|The gameplay truly is awesome. No bugs, no failures with too many sprites onscreen, easy to handle controls. Repetitive it is, but what do we expect from a 33-blocker? Tell me Space Invaders was not repetitive.|
|OVERALL - 10/10|
|Yes, I know, 10 is a high rating. But itīs not all about SIDs that make bad games look better, it isnīt about shiny multicolour graphics that want to turn your attention from a lame gameplay. Itīs about fun and creativity. This is an original game that hardly meets its match and therefore deserves a 10.|