I recently purchased from a local club a Commodore 128D that was to say the least in rough condition. It looks like it was stored in a garage or basement for several years.
The guy I bought it from did a 24 hour burn-in test and the motherboard works perfectly. So that is a huge plus, he had also tried several peripherals in the various slots and they worked as well.
I'll post pictures later, but last night I gutted the system and started the prep for a mini restoration. I was able to remove the labels intact, and removed a few stickers from the front bezel.
The bezel is a bit rough, a couple of dents in the plastic, two holes drilled for device switching (they were broken) and slight discoloring of the plastic. This came reasonably clean after soaking in hot soapy water for a couple of hours.
The case was not so good, it has two prominent dents, one on the top and one on the bottom. I was able to smooth them out and now they are hard to see. Not perfect but real nice. I did a light sanding to remove some stains, rust, and ready it for painting. I hope to find a good color match with Krylon paint today. Amazing what cigarette smoke does to electronics.
The motherboard was amazingly clean except for the remains of a wolf spider that called it his\her home. It was still in there but had long since passed. The metal cover over the RCA video shield was rusty but cleaned up nice. I removed the shield cover from the video processor and checked the heat sink compound, it needs redone.
I sprayed the entire mobo with DeOxit and with a little work it looks great!
The power supply seems to be good, no signs of over heating of heat worn components.
The 1571 is decent looking, some pitting on the chassis but nothing worth a total disassemble of the drive. It had checked out in very good alignment. So a thorough cleaning of the heads, and lubing the drive should be all that's needed.
More on this project later.
I adore my C64!