I just got cbm4win working tonight. It's slow
, but it works...
My PC is homebuilt, with an ASRock Athlon XP motherboard (about 2004 vintage), and the parallel port is configured EPP. cbm4win fired up effortlessly.
What I did notice, and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with any of the earlier posters not being able to write some .D64 images: cbm4win does not appear to like spaces in the image file name -- it starts to send the image to the 1541, then gives up almost immediately. When I take all of the spaces out, it writes the image correctly.
One other weird thing I'm seeing is that cbm4win reports the floppy as still having 664 blocks free after the image has been written -- when I take it downstairs to the 1541 connected to the C-64, the free blocks read correctly.
I've only done a couple so far, so the jury is probably still out, but the first image I did ran successfully in my C-64. And I just tried Exile, which worked also (at least at the beginning).
My first attempt was with Star Commander under Windows 98 on an older Pentium 1 box, but I was never able to get DOS to see the 1541 on its parallel port no matter which BIOS settings I tried. So I came upstairs to the XP system out of desperation... for some reason I thought the older DOS box would have been easier to get working than XP would. I guess that I just didn't have a compatible parallel port on that one (the motherboard is an Abit TX-5).
I'm still going to look at OpenCBM and CBMXfer just for fun, though.
I just discovered that OpenCBM and cbm4win are one in the same (noob
). So it looks like I just need to add the CBMXfer front end to my current installation to try that one out.
I'm still stumped as to why the XA1541 adapter didn't work on the Abit TX-5 board. I got that specifically because I understood it to be the most compatible with the widest variety of parallel port types. The test utility would fire up the drive, but it would just spin endlessly with the drive LED active. XCDETECT saw the parallel port, but said that there were no IEC drives on the cable... selecting the "B" option just spun the drive endlessly like the test routine did. I think that all of this discouraged me from pursuing SC any further, sadly. I really thought that that was going to be how I'd end up doing this.
But, conversely, I didn't have to test anything with cbm4win on XP -- I just ran the installation, fired up the GUI, and I was writing floppies in minutes.
Doesn't looks like there's a whole lot of difference between CBMXfer and gui4cbm4win...